Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Beautiful Day for Plein Air Painting--So I Thought!

Beautiful day in Central Virginia today.  Low 80s for the temperature with low humidity, a beautiful blue sky and puffy white clouds.  Perfect for painting outside in "Plein Air.  But, as I was getting my gear together, making sure I wasn't forgetting anything, my house started shaking, and there was a very unusual, loud roar happening around me.  As I made my way down the hallway, I could hear the glass rattling, and the floor of my home was shaking and rolling under me -- an Earthquake was occurring, and it wasn't stopping either."

Now, living in Central Virginia, it is a very unusual thing - feeling an earthquake.  But, I will admit, since living in this present home over the past ten years, I have felt a total of two.  But those were hardly noticeable, and stopped as quickly as they started.  This, on the other hand, was very loud, and my house shook to the point that by the time I had made it to a doorway, I was wondering if the roof was going to collapse on top of me.

So, I never did make it out to paint on a beautiful late summer afternoon.  Instead I sat on my couch afraid that another one might come at any moment, picking up the phone time and time again, reassuring family members that I was just fine.  I'm feeling very fortunate that I don't live in an area that this is a common occurrence, and hoping I never have to feel it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment